Tuesday, July 15, 2008

ALASKA

I've been thinking a lot about what I could possibly write to describe our trip to Alaska and I really don't think I can find the right words to express how unbelievable it was. Our friends Teresa, Jason and Ronan have such an amazing life. It's so simple and peaceful. I feel so incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to spend 2 weeks in Pedro Bay with them living the simple life. From the time we arrived on the very very small mail plane to our very emotional departure out of the village Anna and I experienced what it is like to live outside of the craziness of the world.
We celebrated the 4th of July with everyone from the village, hanging out on a beautiful beach, eating good food and skipping rocks into the bay. We watched the village get ready for the fish to come, everyone putting their nets out and getting their knives sharpened and their smoke houses ready. We learned from the women of the village the best ways to gut and clean salmon. It's the man's job to fish and the women's job to gut, clean and can...needless to say we helped Jason pull fish from the nets and he gutted and cleaned them. Teresa did all of the canning... except for the fish we made into Sushi. Jason taught me all about what to do if we came across a bear...never happened but if it does I'll definitely be more prepared. We got excited when it was a mail day or when the food plane arrived in the village. We took lots of 4 wheeler rides looking for wildlife but only saw lots and lots of bear poop and bear and moose tracks. We took long boat rides and explored places that I'm sure have never been explored by humans. I am so grateful to have had this experience and to have shared it with Anna. Enjoy the pictures!





























2 comments:

Wendy Campbell said...

Hey Susan!
I'm so glad you sent the blog invite to me! I've loved reading up on your life! Anna is so beautiful. Much like her Mama. :) Your Alaska trip looked just like you described it...relaxing and beautiful. Not sure how much I would have enjoyed the threat of bears, but I would have loved the scenery!

mamadon said...

SUE AND ANNA IT SURE LOOKS LIKE THE TWO OF YOU HAD A GREAT TIME IN ALASKA WHAT A ADVENTURE IT MUST OF BEEN!!!!! BE CHECKING THE PICTURES FROM TIME TO TIME. CAN HARDLY WAIT TIL YOU COME HOME AGAIN. ANNA JUST LOOKS SOOOOOOO BIG EVERYTIME TIME I SEE A NEW PICTURE OF HER . LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU.
AUNT DONNA